skip to navigation

Driving in the UK - the American way

Wednesday, 15th June 2011

Driving abroad can be tricky at the best of times, so it's always worth making sure you've checked out the rules and regulations before you start to avoid problems further on. For example, did you know that if you're an American ex-pat you can legally drive in the UK with a US licence for up to 12 months from when you enter the country? If you want to continue driving after this period you'll need to obtain a UK licence in the same way as any other UK driver. This involves both a theory and practical test, as well as having to applying for a provisional UK licence, so it's worth planning ahead if you intend staying in the UK for a substantial period to avoid any delays in this process.

The majority of American drivers learn in automatic cars but there are some procedures and maneuvers that apply in the UK that you may not be familiar with, so finding a good instructor to take you through your UK paces is essential. London School of Driving offers automatic lessons to learners of all abilities, so we're happy to offer refresher lessons or just a bit of advice to anyone looking to obtain a UK licence. It's important to remember that if you do obtain a licence to drive an automatic, you'll need to retake your test if you ever want to drive a manual car, so make sure you look into your options and plan ahead.

There's some handy advice for American ex-pats on driving in the UK here.